On a houseboat, Dal Lake, Srinagar

We were back to Srinagar. This time for a different experience as no trip to Kashmir is complete without a stay for a few nights on a houseboat on Dal Lake. So I had planned this well in advance and identified this particular one. One of the best amongst many on Dal Lake. The De Laila Group of Houseboats and the one we were going to stay in one of their biggest in terms of size and number of rooms. Breakfast and Dinner included we got a great deal. The next two days here would be an experience out of the ordinary. Come let’s go, take their boat to reach our houseboat and settle down.

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

De Laila Houseboat

There we reach. The first appearance looked good. Let’s discover more and check out what awaits us.

Drawing Room
Dining Room
The study
Drawing Room
The intricate carved designs
Our Room
The balcony
The expensive wood carvings

It was a lovely place. There was a manager cum caretaker and a cook in the houseboat to take care of all our needs. We were feeling hungry as it was lunchtime and so we ordered our food. While we were having it, we realized it would be more of such great mouthwatering dinner and lunch preparations that would follow during our stay. The breakfast menu was simple with a choice of English or Indian breakfast.

The evening was spent relaxing on the balcony and enjoying the views after dinner till late in the night. It was peace of a different kind.

De Laila Houseboat, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

We got up early the next morning and went down to the deck to see the world of Dal lake slowly coming into action.

De Laila Houseboat, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

The afternoon was reserved for a Shikara ride on Dal Lake. Coming? Let’s go.

Shikara ride, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India
Shikara ride

Shikara ride, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Shikara ride, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Shikara ride, Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir, India

It’s wonderful. And we hope the journey continues for a long time. Enjoy the journey as we prepare for another journey, another holiday.

It’s been a wonderful few months bringing to you the India Beautiful 🇮🇳 series on our country that we are so proud of. Wish to thank all our readers from India and countries spread all across the world. Your words of encouragement, your appreciation and your love keeps us going 🏃

Visit Kashmir. The paradise on earth. Experience India Beautiful 🇮🇳

Advertisements

48 Comments Add yours

1. Asanka Ranjeewa says:

Wonderful .. thanks for sharing this experience..

2. Krisy says:

Thank you for giving us an in-depth tour through your photos. This looks like a wonderful place to relax and unwind.

Thanks Krisy 😊

3. Emman Damian says:

Dal Lake sounds like a memorable place in Srinagar. I would like to visit it someday. There’s so much to see in India!

1. travelwisesr says:

Thanks Emman. Please do come over. You would love the options on offer.

4. Stacie says:

That is so beautiful. It looks just like a house inside. I’d never have thought that.

5. Wow…I could never have imagined that boat to actually be a house. From the outside, it looks pretty small but from the inside, my doubts are settled! Awesome.

6. WOW! I had no idea about what it would look like inside. Beautiful! Lovely photos!

Thanks Christine 😊

7. sjd68 says:

When i first saw the boats in the picture my initial thought was that I hope the houseboats were larger. And they were! What a great way to spend the night on the water with a houseboat on Dal Lake. It looks like a full size house. I have thoroughly enjoyed living vicariously through you on your journey through India. I trust you will bring us more adventires in the near future.

1. travelwisesr says:

Thank you so much Scott. I will strive to provide you more glad moments in the future.

8. briannemanz says:

How amazing to be able to stay on a house boat during your trip. I really enjoyed all of the photos you included in your post. You made me feel like I was right there with you.

1. travelwisesr says:

9. This looks like a cool place to visit. I love all of the pictures you shared.

Thanks Shannon 😊

10. I had never considered staying on a house boat instead of a hotel! What a fun experience for you and your wife. Dal Lake looks like an amazing place to stay and even better for relaxing. Your posts about Kashmir and India in general have captured my attention and India is definitely on my travel list now! The last few where you’ve stayed in the mountains and near water have been beautiful. I’m so glad I have the opportunity to follow you on your travels through this blog.

1. travelwisesr says:

Thank you so much Erica for your kind wirds. It’s been a pleasure knowing you and being in touch. Soon would be bringing you our experiences of this summer traveling to some beautiful countries.

11. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

Wow. That houseboat is beautiful! The interiors, the wood carvings, and the views it offered from the deck is totally worth the stay!

12. Despite Pain says:

I was looking at your photos thinking you were actually staying in a fancy hotel. Absolutely gorgeous. Dal Lake is lovely.
    I have really enjoyed your trip through India.

13. Tiffany La Forge-Grau says:

That would be really fun to do! I have long wondered what one of those was like!

14. Lavern Moore says:

I would love to stay for a few nights on a houseboat on Dal Lake. What an exciting thing to do!

15. Heather says:

Wow, this looks so amazing!! I’ve always wanted to be on a houseboat!

16. Snehal says:

The view of Dal Lake is just pure bliss! I have always wanted to live on a houseboat. Would like to give a visit to de laila houseboat someday. Thanks for taking us on the boat trip with the video! 🙂

Thanks Snehal 😊

17. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience. Traveling around different countries and places around the world gives you an opportunity to see the other side of the coin and be grateful for what you have.

1. travelwisesr says:

Appreciate your kind words. Yes traveling does help to broaden my horizons and makes me all the more convinced that we are all the same just living in different parts of this beautiful world

18. Dal Lake is quietly stunning. Everything looks so serene and peaceful and the mountain backdrop creates a sense of majesty. The interior of the houseboat was a total surprise; I expected tiny rooms but the rooms are the size of a small hotel, and quite charming. As usual I love your images that capture the spirit of all your travels. Thank you for sharing these parts of India with us. I look forward to your future adventures.

19. By Joanna K says:

What an interesting houseboat. It looks like a proper home, where one can raise their family. And the ideal place to live life for anyone attached to water.

20. tcleland88 says:

I’ve always wanted to stay on a houseboat. The rocking of the water would be so soothing. This one looks quite interesting–I love the intricacy of the wood carving. You’ve had a great trip!

21. Wow! Your houseboat is more luxurious than many homes. The wood carvings are spectacular. What a unique experience to enjoy.

22. Lyosha Varezhkina says:

I have a serious thing for boats. and you post is making me want to hit on one HARD. awesome options!

23. I’ve never seen anything like this!!! I’m completely drawn to the uniqueness and beauty of these boats!

1. travelwisesr says:

It was sheer peace these two days on the houseboat 😊

24. You’ve given me an idea for our next holiday. I have never been on a houseboat, but I really want to try it.

25. Houseboats have always had a strange appeal for me. They look so cool and I can imagine being rocked to sleep by the waves! Very beautiful post

26. musingsandadventureswriter says:

I’d love to stay on a houseboat. I’ve been on one in Amsterdam but I’m sure staying in one is a unique experience.

27. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

I assume it would be totally relaxing to be in a houseboat on Dal Lake. This is the kind of vacation I dream of, and hopefully, one day, in this lifetime it will come true.

28. The Dal lake has always been my list. I had even booked a floating boat house for a couple of nights. But had to cancel at the last moment. This post shows me what I missed out on!

29. Anagha Paul says:

Houseboat at Dal Lake and another in Kerala are two things I so much wanna visit and experience it. That’s good you could enjoy it 🙂

30. Chad says:

I don’t know what to say! The place is gorgeous! I would love to stay there for like a month, so beautiful.

31. toastycritic says:

It looks so beautiful out there along the lake. Such a fun place to stay. I love houseboats. Not sure why but it just felt like such a fun way to live.

32. What an adventure. This place looks so amazing. Love the views so much.

33. Elizabeth O says:

The interior of that house boat was quite impressive. it reminded me of a fine, old grand hotel.

34. Kelly Martin says:

What an interesting experience to stay on a houseboat. The wood carvings look amazing. So detailed!

1. travelwisesr says:

Yes Kelly it was a wonderful experience all together. The late nights and early mornings were so peaceful and beautiful.

It's your comment that keeps me going