One morning in Lord’s

We were in London. And this time did not want to miss this tour. Last year when we were here, the maintenance period was on and I got quite disheartened. Hence for this trip, planned it out well in advance and made our online bookings while making our other travel and activity bookings, to make sure we did not miss it. If you are still wondering what I am referring to, it’s about our visit to the historic Lord’s Cricket Ground. Also known as the “Mecca of Cricket”, it was the first officially built ground for the game of Cricket.

Talking about Cricket, the air is full of excitement. It’s less than fifty days to go for this mega event, the ICC World Cup Cricket Carnival. We in India are supremely excited because for us Cricket is not just a game, it’s a religion which unites all of us. And Lord’s Cricket Ground, London will be the venue for the finals.

ICC Cricket World Cup
ICC Cricket World Cup

We were staying in Gants Hill, Ilford. Got up very early in the morning and when I saw the sunshine with no clouds in sight, it brought a smile on my face. The day was going to be good, I thought. London is a place I am hugely in love with but if you ask me why, I really can’t pinpoint. There are so many happy memories associated and so much of enjoyment that we have experienced, including the fact that one of my closest friend Ian stays there and some wonderful moments we have spent together.

We took the underground to Bond Street and from there a change to reach St. John’s Wood station. As we exited the station, we found this lovely Coffee shop. Me and no coffee, no ways. So we settled down for a quick sip and a bite.

Coffee Shop, St.John's Wood station, London

Refreshed, we started our ten minute walk towards the stadium and soon we were there. I had booked a 9.30 AM slot and we reached well before time.

Let’s look at the origin and some of the history associated with Lord’s. Lord’s Cricket Ground, commonly known simply as Lord’s, named after its founder, Thomas Lord is owned by Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and is the home of Middlesex County Cricket Club, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the European Cricket Council (ECC). Lord’s is home to the world’s oldest sporting museum. Lord’s today is not on its original site, being the third of three grounds that Lord established between 1787 and 1814. His first ground, now referred to as Lord’s Old Ground, was where Dorset Square now stands. His second ground, Lord’s Middle Ground, was used from 1811 to 1813 before being abandoned to make way for the construction through its outfield of the Regent’s Canal. The present Lord’s ground is about 250 yards north-west of the site of the Middle Ground. The ground can hold 28,000 spectators.

The main survivor from the Victorian era is the Pavilion, with its famous Long Room; this was built in 1889–90 to the designs of architect Thomas Verity. This historic landmark underwent an £8 million refurbishment program in 2004–05. The pavilion is primarily for members of MCC, who may use its amenities, which include seats for viewing the cricket, the Long Room and its Bar, the Bowlers Bar, and a members’ shop. At Middlesex matches the Pavilion is open to members of the Middlesex County Club. The Pavilion also contains the dressing rooms where players change, each of which has a small balcony for players to watch the play. In each of the two main dressing rooms are honors boards which commemorate all the centuries scored in Test matches or One Day Internationals (ODI) at Lord’s, all instances of a bowler taking five wickets in a Test or ODI innings and all occurrences of a bowler taking ten wickets in a Test match. The only cricketer to hit a ball over the pavilion was Albert Trott, off Monty Noble on 31 July 1899.

One of the features of the ground is the pair of ornamental gates, named in honor of W.G. Grace. In 1923 the gates were erected at the St John’s Wood Road entrance to the ground. They were designed by Sir Herbert Baker. Come now let’s go in and soak in the atmosphere.

G.W.Grace entrance on St. John’s Wood Road

Lord's Cricket Ground, London

Let’s start our journey. First with the Lord’s Museum.

IMG_20170516_114354084

Play Station

Our very own Kapil Dev featured
The Prudential Cup India won in 1983 with Kapil Dev as our captain
Kapil Dev with the Prudential Cup
The Ashes Trophy
The Original Ashes Trophy

We now move on to the playing arena and the stadium. Many of the stands were rebuilt in the late 20th century. In 1987 the new Mound Stand, designed by Michael Hopkins and Partners was opened, followed by the Grandstand by Nicholas Grimshaw in 1996. Most notably, the Media Centre was added in 1998-9 and it won The Royal Institute of British Architects Sterling Prize for 1999. The two ends of the pitch are the Pavilion End (south-west), where the main members’ pavilion is located, and the Nursery End (north-east), dominated by the Media Center.

The stands

Lord's Cricket Ground, London
The thrill also was in standing on then India Captain Sourav Ganguly’s famous shirt waving Indian Dressing Room balcony, after beating England in a one day international thriller and winning the series
Dressing room record boards

Dressing Room
Lord’s Long Room in the pavilion

Lord's Cricket Ground, London

One of the most distinctive and famous features of the Lord’s ground is the significant slope across the field. The north-west side of the playing surface is 2.5 metres (8 ft 2 ins) higher than the south-east side. This slope causes appreciable deviation in bounce of the ball on the pitch, making it easier to move the ball in to right-handed batsmen when bowling from the Pavilion End, and easier to move it away when bowling from the Nursery End. The outfield was notorious for becoming waterlogged, resulting in considerable loss of play due to rainfall, until clay soil was re-laid with sand during the winter of 2002–2003.

The Media Centre was commissioned in time for the 1999 Cricket World Cup, and was the first all-aluminium, semi-monologue building in the world. It was built and fitted out in two boatyards, using boat-building technology. The centre stands 15 metres (49 ft) above the ground and its sole support comes from the structure around its two lift shafts – it is about the same height as the Pavilion directly opposite it on the other side of the ground. The lower tier of the centre provides accommodation for over 100 journalists, and the top tier has radio and television commentary boxes. The centre’s only opening window is in the broadcasting box used by BBC Test Match Special. Let’s go in and have a look.

The view from the Media Center
Our Guides for the day. Two wonderful Gentlemen and both ex-Cricketers
IMG_20170516_134352794
The Souvenir Shop

As we were about to finish our journey these two last memories are now imbibed in our mind.

Lord’s Wall
Lord’s Nursery

Anticipating that we would be approaching Lunch hours and feeling hungry, I had pre-booked a Lunch at the renowned ‘The Tavern’ Restaurant inside the Lord’s Ground with it’s entry just outside the main gates. Let’s go and have our Lunch.

Lord’s ‘The Tavern’ Restaurant

IMG_20170516_135605159

IMG_20170516_142552674

Hope you enjoyed the meal and the journey. And now it’s time to prepare for bringing the World Cup home. To my reader friends outside India, we also look forward to your moral support to become the Champions again. India, the Champions 🇮🇳

Advertisements

60 Comments Add yours

1. 007basu says:

So nicely written…lively,vivid,vibrant

1. travelwisesr says:

2. K Sanjeev Nair says:

Mesmerising description , felt like visualising the historical site through your words and beautiful pictures.

1. travelwisesr says:

3. Snehal says:

Its must have been such a thriller experience for both of you 😍 wow.. I wish to visit the Lord’s ground someday. 😊

4. Wow this sounds like such a great experience. It’s good you were even more prepared this year than last! I love how descriptive this was of your experience!

5. jaye shields says:

I have to admit that I’ve never seen a cricket game! Thanks for sharing and great pics!

6. Elizabeth Nunes says:

What a cool adventure! Sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

7. Wow! I love all of the photographs. Looks like an amazing beautiful day. The Lord’s museum must’ve been wonderful to visit. For some reason I’m captivated by the stands, they look so perfect. Thank you for sharing.

8. Audrey says:

This sounds like an awesome experience! What a massive stadium! I bet it was electric!

9. Brianne Tursi Manz says:

I’ve seen videos of Cricket, and it looks like a fascinating game. This had to be an incredible time.

10. Oh wow this looks incredible! I’ve always wanted to visit this area~

11. Very high quality pictures and detailed experience of your account.

12. What a beutiful place to watch a cricket match. Being American I’ve never been too involved with Cricket but it seems like such an interesting sport. Every once in while its on ESPN and I’ll watch and try to understand. I cant get over the granduer of Lords.

13. Star says:

Always love your photos and the personal tour you give. I’m not informed on the game of cricket at all, but the grounds here are amazing.

14. Porsha carr says:

The lords look amazing hopefully I can go someday!

15. KeshiaRichmond says:

I would love to visit Lord’s Cricket Ground, “Mecca of Cricket”. I have never seen a cricket game and would love to do so here.

16. Looks like a beautiful experience! Glad you had a great time!

17. Heather says:

This looks like an amazing place to visit! Thank you for sharing!

18. my10kday says:

Remember this

19. Great post! I’m originally from Canada where cricket is not a popular sport but your account makes it seem very interesting.

20. Nicole Anderson says:

This was such an amazing post. The level of detail and knowledge you have shared here is so impressive and your passion for the sport is extremely obvious. Best wishes indeed for the Indian team.

21. KeshiaRichmond says:

The ground is the pair of ornamental gates, named in honor of W.G. Grace is something we would love to see.

22. fourcolu says:

the wembley of soccer and scotia bank arena of hockey. Cricket a game played over 5 days you have lunch break, tea break and one of the only games a captain can make a difference. i personally like the 20 overs wonderful write up thanks

23. Despite Pain says:

Lovely post as always, with great photos and background information. If you’re visiting a cricket ground, then I guess it just needs to be Lord’s.

1. I trust u must have had fun the photos are beautiful an the landmarks are also amazing thanks for sharing dear

24. I loved reading your post and the details of the game of cricket. This sport is not popular in the U.S. so I loved learning about it!

25. You are so good in giving details, this makes me feel like I have seen a game already.

26. Lyosha Varezhkina says:

wow! it looks like a morning to remember, such an experience. great photos as well.

27. blair villanueva says:

It is always awesome to remember great experiences! Ohh I bet it was a blast when you where there 🙂

28. tcleland88 says:

This looks like a wonderful excursion for cricket fans! Glad you enjoyed your visit!

29. I’ve been to London and loved it. I must admit that catching a cricket game wasn’t even on my radar at the time. I really wish it was after reading this! I have to ask if the burger and fries your wife is eating in the photo is as big as it looks?

1. travelwisesr says:

Thanks that you loved it. Yes the burger and fries were that big as it looks 😊 Both of us could not finish the fries. So sad some of it was wasted.

30. What a beautiful sight to behold. This brings back those memories of my time living in London. Thank you for sharing.

31. I don’t know very much about that sport, but I do admire how passionate people are about watching cricket

32. kutercarol says:

Really enjoyed visiting this though your eyes. The museum and grounds are beautiful and I love hearing the history. Cricket isn’t very popular in the States but I think it’s trying to make a come back.

33. This post is well written about London. Hope you had fun.

34. aword84 says:

I went to London several times (it’s actually one of those cities where I feel I could go every weekend and still find something new to see and do) but I must admit, I’ve never watched cricket and hardly know anything about it. But I ‘ve loved going through your pics and imagining being a part of this world (plus your guides seem so friendly and nice!! ) – as always, you make me travel from home 🙂

35. Luna S says:

I love the giant sign pointing to coffee, I know it would get my husbands attention. It looks like you had a wonderful time and got to see some pretty awesome sites.

36. Sharon Wu says:

london looks beautiful! i really want to visit one day and see all the wonderful places you’ve outlined! x

37. That is one sport I have never once watched and know nothing about. We haven’t made it to London yet, but it’s on the ole’ bucket list! We will have to take in a cricket game too!

38. I recently visited London. It is very beautiful. Cricket and Tennis are London’s sport. Glad you enjoyed your time in London. Hope you’ll come back.

1. travelwisesr says:

I am in love with London & wish to go back again.

39. Clarice says:

My husband would love this place. He is a huge cricket fan and I am sure he’d love to see all these memorabilia and this historical trophies. We hope to get to visit someday.

1. travelwisesr says:

Please do. It’s a wonderful experience.

40. emman damian says:

I’m not really a fan of
    cricket but I would really want to try it in London. It’s a very popular sport in your country. Now I know why you love it.

1. Blair villanueva says:

I only knew cricket from many English movies, and been played by many royals for so many years. I wish to see the tournament!

41. Komal says:

Cricket isn’t a popular sport in america so I am not too familiar with it, however this looked like a fun time!

42. Marjie Mare says:

This is one place that I would like to visit. Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with us.

43. Michael David Oyco says:

Hopefully to visit the place when we are in the vicinity. Haven’t been to London yet.

44. I don’t actually watch cricket games because it is not largely played over here. Anyway, the stadium looks so massive and beautiful! That World Cup also looks so majestic!Such an envy!

1. travelwisesr says:

Cricket is a very interesting game & now with a 20 overs a side version it’s pure entertainment.

45. Alexandra Cook says:

Such a fun and great experience you had. My husband is a huge crickets fan and hw eould be so happy to see this.

46. Sounds you have a great experience! I’ve never seen this sports yet I’am looking forward to check this 🙂

47. aisasami says:

I am an American and never heard of Cricket until a bunch of Commonwealth friends played at a event here in Japan. I lvoe it and want to see a game.

48. Eastern Reporter says:

What a great city… Must have been a great and wonderful experience. Lots of places i wish to visit, maybe one of this days i will experience lords just like you did.

49. I can’t say I am a cricket fan but this place sounds wonderful for any cricket fan, I am sure my boyfriends dad would love to go here as he loves cricket too.

50. vidya says:

it is definitely thrilling to watch the game in a stadium.. and was fun reading your experience

It's your comment that keeps me going