Lopud, Elaphiti Islands

Our boat sailed off as lunch was served. After our wonderful morning trip to the two beautiful islands of Kolocep and Sipan and some real Travel fun in Elaphiti Islands..our next destination, Lopud Island.

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia

Second in size and best known for its sandy beaches, Lopud is located between Sipan and Kolocep islands. It’s well developed in terms of tourism infrastructure and is economically the most developed of the three islands. It is famous as the “island in the middle” and has seven miles of coastline, of which one mile is sandy.

Sunj beach is certainly the best beach in the Elafiti Islands. It’s composed of fine, white sand which is extremely rare in Croatia. The lush green hills as the backdrop makes it even more exciting for tourists and residents of Dubrovnik. Naturally it gets busy during the summer months, when Adriatic is at it’s best. It was a short ride and we reached quickly.

Heading towards Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Adriatic Sea

Lopud Harbor

Lopud has been inhabited since ages starting as early as the seventh century. In the fifteenth century, refugees from the Turks flowed onto the island and the island grew rapidly from then to the seventeenth century when around fourteen thousand people started living here including sailors, sea captains and shipowners. At one time it’s ships comprised a quarter of the Dubrovnik navy and were a part of a number of important expeditions.

The island had two monasteries, thirty churches and a number of noble palaces. Like the rest of Dubrovnik, it was wrecked in the earthquake of 1667 and was never again able to attain its former glory. Now the island has around two hundred and fifty inhabitants only.

Franciscan Monastery

As we alighted from our boat on to Lopud harbor, the first piece of history that attracted our attention was the Franciscan monastery. Founded in 1458 for the purpose of cultural development & education and abandoned under the French occupation of 1808, it has been opened to public in 2018 after twenty years of restoration work. It now serves as an art gallery and displays a massive collection of Renaissance art and furniture from Germany, Italy and the Balkans. You should not miss the attached tranquil gardens designed for meditation. The monastery also serves as a private B&B available for rental. It certainly is a place where history, art, and botanical exploration would ignite your senses. Let’s explore more.

Take your pick..
The beach

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
The lovely beach restaurants..
Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
The blue sky, the clouds, the sea and the lovely views..

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
The narrow winding pathways..

As we walk let me share with you a bit more about Elaphitus. Apart from the three inhabited islands that we are visiting, there are ten other uninhabited islets. They are Crkvina, Golec, Kosmec, Misnjak, Ruda, Tajan and Daksa where there are no activities.

Daksa used to be home to a thirteenth century Franciscan monastery of Saint Sabina, which was abandoned at the time of Napoleon’s conquest in the early 19th century. Later it became infamous as the site of the Daksa massacre, in which forty eight prominent citizens of Dubrovnik were executed in October 1944. The other islets – Jakljan has a children’s rest and recreation center, Olipa has a lighthouse and Sveti Andrija, a rocky island with a rich fauna has the status of a bird reserve. The island also has a lighthouse which was built in 1873.

We are now near the Botanical Garden. Those of you who love nature would surely have a great time with us as we venture in.

Botanical Garden
The green..

Nice sculptures..
Botanical Garden in Lopud Island, Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
The flowers and the oranges..

Botanical Garden in Lopud Island, Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
The cactus and lavender plants..

Botanical Garden in Lopud Island, Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
And nature at it’s best..
Lady of Sunj Church
Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
And another small church next to it..

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Lovely houses with their Orange trees..

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia

We looked at our watch. We still had some free time. And what better place to head to than another sandy beach which we were now close to.

Lafodia Beach Resort

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
As we walked back towards our boat..
Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia
A bit of souvenir shopping on the way..

Lopud Island in Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia

As we settled down on the upper deck again, it was now the turn of the crew to welcome us back. With a surprise parting shot of Rakija. Come let’s enjoy the views as we head back towards Dubrovnik.

Lopud Island boat tour to Elaphiti Islands, Dubrovnik, Croatia

Dubrovnik. A truly marvelous holiday destination.

Come over to Dubrovnik. Get lost and discover yourself ๐Ÿ‘ป

Advertisements

57 Comments Add yours

1. jenschreiner says:

WOW!!! The Elaphiti Islands are beautiful. So much history. What a lovely spot for a vacation. Thank you for sharing. Looks like a great spot for my husband and myself to visit (without the kids) ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Khushboo says:

Thats a very beautiful place. All the clicks ate amazing. I would love to visit there sometime.

2. travelwisesr says:

O yes both of you should have a great time together.

2. Emman Damian says:

This is the first time I heard about Lopud, Elaphiti Islands. It seems very pretty place. I like serene places because it helps me think and reflect.

1. travelwisesr says:

Yes then it would be a great place for you to visit.

3. that monastery is beautiful! In my younger years, I contemplated the possibility of becoming a Franciscan Sister, but ended up getting married and having kids instead. Thank you for sharing those beautiful images of a place, I am most likely to never visit. Blessings!

1. travelwisesr says:

Destiny takes us where we never thought we would be. Happy for you and your family.

4. Stacie says:

That is just beautiful! I would love go there one day. I love the beach and the historical buildings. I would love to see that monastery.

1. travelwisesr says:

You’ll love the place. It has so much to offer.

5. Ronnie E. says:

I could get lost in those botanical gardens for an entire day and enjoy every minute. The pictures really show the unique beauty of the islands!

1. Lindsay Rae says:

Those botanical gardens are absolutely beautiful! Also, can I commend you on your first line please? You always have the best intros to your articles, always great at drawing the reader in!

Thank you Lindsay so much. Happy you enjoyed ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. travelwisesr says:

Even we would have more time in the midst of the trees and plants if we had more time.

6. Kelly Martin says:

I havenโ€™t heard of Lopud before but it looks amazing! The gardens are beautiful too.

1. travelwisesr says:

The whole island is just amazing.

7. Viano Dee says:

Lopud is truly beautiful with a rich history. It’s amazing to know that Turk refugees found a home there in the 15th century. Also. I really like the botanical garden and the beach resorts. Really nice.

1. travelwisesr says:

Love that you loved the island. It truly is awesome.

8. Norma says:

Lopud, Elaphiti Islands is a beautiful place to visit. The gardens are beautiful it seems so calm and relaxing!

1. travelwisesr says:

Yes very calm and relaxing really. Wish we could spend some more time there.

9. Michael David Oyco says:

I like the trail with trees covering the path. So peaceful and so nice to go through either by walking, biking, etc.. You are going places few have been. Wow!

1. travelwisesr says:

Thanks Michael.Love that you too loved the island.

10. Lopud Island sounds like a wonderful place to visit- the beach, monastery, botanical gardens. I could spend all week here just enjoying the beauty!

1. travelwisesr says:

We loved it and wish we could have spent some more time there in the island.

11. What a gorgeous island. Never heard of it before but would love to visit someday!

1. travelwisesr says:

You must visit if you can make it sometime. You’ll love it.

12. Oh wow what a beautiful island. I have never heard of it before but it looks like such an amazing place to visit with so much history to learn about too!

1. travelwisesr says:

Yes a truly beautiful place really. Worth visiting if you can.

13. Fatima D Torres says:

What a lovely place to see. I haven’t heard of this area. Will need to do my research.

1. travelwisesr says:

Croatia is beautiful indeed. And Dubrovnik and surroundings just amazing.

14. Njkinny says:

So beautiful…your pics took me on a soothing journey…Would love to visit someday. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Happy that you enjoyed Kinny ๐Ÿ˜Š

15. clydequin93 says:

I never heard of this island before, but seeing the photos here, I could say, it’s worth visiting for.

1. travelwisesr says:

Yes Quin. Definitely worth a visit for sure.

16. Trish says:

I love reading about the history, which gives each place you visit its unique character. Lovely.

1. travelwisesr says:

Thanks Trish. Love that you loved.

17. I am always completely captivated by your pictures and the history of the places you visit. This one is certainly no different! The Elaphiti Islands looks like such a stunning place to visit.

Your comments are real motivators for me Erica. Thanks once again ๐Ÿ˜Š

18. Wow this place looks amazing. Looks perfect to visit with family and a lovely day out for sure xx

1. travelwisesr says:

O yes it’s truly beautiful and it was a lovely day out for us.

19. Viktoria says:

Looks like such a beautiful place. Thanks for such a detailed and inspiring summary!

1. travelwisesr says:

Thanks Viktoria. Happy that you enjoyed.

20. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

Wow. I did not know about Elaphiti Islands until now. There is so much to explore in that place and I love the natural beauty. So green and beautiful!

Happy that you enjoyed Kristine ๐Ÿ˜Š

21. I’ve never heard of Lopud or Elaphiti Island before but seeing the simplicity of life in those areas makes it fascinating to me.
    Those pictures are wonderful and your explanations are detailed.

Thank you so much.

22. I wouldnโ€™t mind getting lost along the beach in this paradise. I had never heard of the Elaphiti before this, but your photos are splendid and Iโ€™d love to look into them more

Thanks so much. So happy you enjoyed ๐Ÿ˜Š

23. Alexandra says:

It must be a pretty interesting life to get to travel to such exotic places and dine and take boat rides and then write about it. I love how you include history. I wish I could see pictures of what it looked like after the earthquake but I guess that wasn’t possible since it happened in the 1600. Maybe there are drawings. I don’t know.

1. travelwisesr says:

Thank you Alexandra. So happy you loved it. It’s readers like you who constantly keep motivating me.

24. There has been a buzz about Elaphiti Islands of late and oh my! I can definitely see why! Talk about Island hopping, a good boat ride and visiting the Botanical garden! Now I feel like I would love such a trip too!

O yes Dalene. You would surely love being there

25. Alyssa Ahern says:

This looks like such a beautiful island! I have never heard of it before but it’s now on my bucket list to visit

1. travelwisesr says:

You must visit Alyssa for sure if you can sometime.

26. Kayleigh says:

Ahhhh those orange trees! I just want to pick them! I enjoy reading your travel posts as this is an area of the world I know next to nothing about! I love the photos.

Thank you Kayleigh so much. You make me so happy ๐Ÿ˜Š

27. That looks like such a beautiful place to visit. I would love to see that someday in person.

1. travelwisesr says:

You must Shannon visit sometime whenever you can. You’ll love it

It's your comment that keeps me going